Translate

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Apple Cake - my momma's

Narva Lee's Apple Nut Cake

Bakes in to a crusty outside layer - almost crispy!  Dark caramelized apples peek through.

chunks of apples and nuts visible on the ends.



 
 
When fall arrived, my momma always made this simple apple cake with Granny Smith apples.  It is such a simple recipe - using ingredients that are common  in most pantries.   You can use any type of apple or nut that you prefer. I happen to love the exotic taste of black walnuts, but they are either  a "love or hate" taste for most people.   My momma always put a sugar  glaze on the cake, but this time I tried to eliminate a few calories and left it off.  My husband and I love this with our coffee in the morning, but the original recipe  was intended for dessert.  Try it and see what you think.  The recipe is in our cookbook "Romancing the Home Entertains".  It is moist and  perfect for fall days.  I was lucky enough to still have part of the cake left to photograph - Mr. RTH and my son devoured half of it once it was out of the oven!
 
 
Narva Lee's Apple Nut Cake
 
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs
3 c. flour
3 c. Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 c. walnuts, chopped
 
Pre-heat oven to 350  degrees.
Cream vegetable oil, sugar and eggs together.
Sift flour, salt and baking soda together.
Mix flour mixture with the oil and sugar mixture.
Stir in vanilla, apples and nuts and combine well.
Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan  for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. ( Watch closely the last 15 minutes as ovens cook differently)
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes , then invert on cooling rack and cool completely.
 
Glaze:  optional
 
1 stick butter
1 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 c. evaporated milk
 
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, stir and bring to a boil.  Boil over medium high heat for 2 1/2 minutes.  Cool slightly and pour over the cake.
 


2 comments:

Lynne said...

Thank you for sharing this Susan.
I took the week off from blogging. (I am cheating a bit as I write this comment.) My mother took a fall last week, badly breaking both of her wrists. She is now in a rehabilitation facility. I am going to bake your Momma's sweet Fall recipe to take up to the facility on the weekend!
Enjoy your coffee and the rest of the cake!
~Lynne
w/L.

Mary said...

I have to try your mother's wonderful cake! Beautiful photos!