Translate

Saturday, March 25, 2017

A State of Chaos

When the moving truck from Chicago arrived, my simple way of living ended.  Sheer shock overcame my emotional state as I wondered why I moved so much stuff! And I really thought that I had edited and left a lot behind.  I am sorry the truck found the way up the mountain.

750 pieces of boxes and furniture were off loaded and dumped into a spot in the house. Here's the morning after, as we starting the unpacking process-




 The unpackers just started unpacking boxes and sitting it on any flat surface they could find.

 Every shelf filled with unrelated items.  Where to start?  Crying helps.
 My once uncluttered kitchen is now a confused mess of not very welcome stuff.  Have I lost my mind? 

But finally after a week, the chaos starts to subside and a few small wonders of the world start to happen.


Ronnie and Eric show up to uncrate and hang my huge bistro mirror over the massive stone fireplace.

 From Europe to Chicago to Lake Bluff to the mountains of Western North Carolina- this mirror has traveled the world.  I can't believe it made it intact- 6 feet tall and five feet wide- it is very heavy and hard to handle.  So these guys are my hero's!

Finally a moment of reckoning- the light at the end of the tunnel- I can start to putter and decorate.
Now what to go on that mantel- still need to figure it out!



My African antelope gets it's place on the wall and the buffet below is filled with crystal and horn.



The center table in the gathering room gets adorned with some newly discovered old friends that have been in storage for the past two years.



Black urns are paired with black and white etchings in the foyer alcove.


The master bedroom fireplace gets it's turn too!  I had to find a place for those special candelabra.
They really aren't the typical mountain home accessory, but a little crystal really livens up the place.



Pillows from Chicago are removed from boxes and placed on their new bed.


I finally find the silk comforter for the guest home bed and a few pillows make their way there too!

The guest room bath is brightened up with a splash of red.

 The sink is a brass vessel bowl with the faucet to the side. Four wall mount sconces are on the counter to ceiling mirror wall.

And so the beat goes on!  Day by day, a little bit gets done.  Local charities are reaping the benefit of my lack of discipline in editing my collections.  Two large trailers of home goods have already been picked up and distributed to local charities.  Meanwhile, I just ordered a new cabinet for the kitchen to hold more dishes.  A few additional shelves in the kitchen cabinets and things will be good to go!
Some diseases have no cure!  Dish addicts understand.


12 comments:

Barbara Novello said...

Do you know how lucky you are?

Christy said...

Oh Susan, this post is hysterical! Is every box gone? My favorite mirror in the world looks so at home! Love how you set up the mantle in your bedroom. All your treasures are back home and I'm sure placed in the perfect spot!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

So amazingly lovely.

Mari said...

Susan, your new home is sure to be as beautiful as your last home, which by the way was my very favorite. I just adored your last home it was sooooo gorgeous, can't wait to see how you decorate your new fab home.

Smiles~
Mari

Linda A. said...

Your things are beautiful, where do you find such wonderful mirrors?
You must have decorators helping you find just the right place for each item.
Very blessed are you!

Katha said...

Yes, Susan, it is a sickness, but a glorious one! That must have been a daunting experience when all those boxes arrived!!! I would have cried too. True to your talent though, everything is looking amazing!!! Love, love it. Can't name a favorite because it is all so beautiful! Good luck as you continue to unpack and decorate. The end product will be something to behold for sure!!!

ps: those lucky, lucky people at the receiving charities!

Lorene said...

Susan, I just love this post..... I can visualize the look on your face when all the boxes showed up... Your treasures are lovely and they look marvelous in your new mountain home.

Splenderosa said...

Well, at first I was feeling so sorry for you, but now I am simply angry that I don't have my own house settled after 2 years and you're almost finished !!!! It's brilliant, what you have done!!
Rejoice !!

Unknown said...

Wow, I wish I lived near your charity people. I'm not even on the right continent :) your new home looks beyond fabulous. Good luck with the unpacking.

EnchantedRose said...

Beautiful...good job!! Moving is so much work.... Love seeing all of the Chicago Lake house things again! Can't wait to see more pictures and all of your Magic!! xo

EnchantedRose said...

P.s. I only wish too....I lived near your charities.. I can only imagine the beautiful things you gave away... I find to hold many things though, as our taste and feelings change, and sometimes we give things away, and think.... oh no, why did I do that! So, know it's OK to keep your loved treasures too ;)

Sarah said...

This dish addict totally understands. Just today I celebrated moving the last of the contents out of the last of my storage units. OK, so these last boxes are now stacked in the garage, but at least there will be no more expensive monthly storage bills. I've been slowly bring things home, editing, donating, organizing what I keep. Ha! Reading that you've taken loads to local thrift stores makes me longing to shop those places. I know I would love your treasures! ;-)