Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Leaving for Provence in the Morning

Tomorrow, my husband and I leave for 10 nights in France and I can't wait. We have had such a cold spring and now as we are getting ready to leave, we get a little warm weather and I decide that I need to get my potager planted now instead of when we return.  So hurrying around this week, I did get it started. I decided that I needed to add a little more color and structure to it this yer, so we planted lupines and foxglove around the center. I will fill in with herbs, squash, cucumbers and zucchini on the outsides.  I purchased compact growing vegetables this year to try to keep them better contained.








I love this showy perennial , but it is hard to get it to come back the next year.








French lavender fills in the corners.
I feel a bit better about leaving for France with some of this planted and I will finish when I return. I am sure I will be inspired by the gardens and potagers in the French countryside. 
We are staying in Avignon at a beautiful place- La Mirande.




 
 



 
 







I cannot wait to get to this region of France and explore. I am sure when I return I will have many new thoughts about my potager garden! So much to learn and explore during the next few days!!

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Have a wonderful trip, Susan!
I can't wait to see your potager mid Summer!
~Lynne
withLove.

The enchanted home said...

We were there! We went three years ago and it was the trip of a lifetime, I will never forget it and absolutely plan to go back, we were only there 2 nights but it was AMAZING. I fell in love with Avignon...you are going to have the best time. Enjoy and safe travels.
Aur revoir!

frenchbourne said...

GOOSEBUMPS!!!!

Sarah said...

I'll say it's a beautiful spot. Have a fabulous time. We've been to the south of France twice, and each time was perfection. Makes me want to plan a trip.
Love the idea of adding the foxglove to your garden. I want to rethink our herb garden. You are giving me some ideas.

Vikki said...

Hey Susan, Your lodging in Avignon looks amazing! A note about the Foxglove in your potager. Foxglove is a biannual - blooms every other year - hence your trouble getting them to come back every year. You certainly found some beautiful specimens. Have a safe trip and post lots of pix's when you get home. Vikki in VA.