Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hotel Monaco in Old Town Alexandria










Mr. RTH and I helped our daughter, Julie, move to Alexandria, Va. this weekend.  Very sad and  almost bittersweet for me, as she just accepted a  job promotion in the very state where her father and I were born and raised.  While it is very sad to let your children leave, it is also very exciting.  You get to visit and learn about new places.  I grew up in southwestern Virginia and later moved to Richmond, where I met my husband.  But one part of the state never ventured into was the DC area, too congested for us !  But do I love it now!  I can't wait go back and explore this delightful area of the country. Built in the 1700's,  Old Town Alexandria is an historic charming  part of the city, full of charming stores, restaurants, and hotels.  We had dinner in the restaurant of this delightful boutique hotel, the Hotel Monaco.   I love the turquoise walls, red leather and green combinations.  In the center of the back to back sofas was a bubbling confection of blown art glass in a glass vase -  too too cool!  A little bit of Asian, a little bit antique and a lot of wonderful !  The faux painted fireplace in a leopard motif stood out beautifully on the painted turquoise paneling- divine inspiration!  Notice the crazy light fixture in the center of room - really ties the space together.   I can't wait to go back and explore the area more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just in Virginia this past April for Historic Garden Week. We spent 3 nites in Alexandria and loved it.
What a beautiful state, I hope to return soon.



Roz M

Unknown said...

Hotel Monaco in Alexandria is well known as a romantic hotel.It looks charming. The way the room will design, it looks antique.

Ivy hotel