Translate

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Southerners and Their Silver








We are starting to design our tablescapes for the fundraiser that we participate in every May. This year , we are going to use the Kentucky Derby as our theme, since the homeowner of the house we are staging, is from Louisville and always attends the Derby. Being from the south myself, I know how much southerners love their silver. I remember getting 9 revere bowls and several of silverplate vegetable dishes. I haven't used them in years, but they are pretty, especially used in multiples. One of the spaces we are staging is the terrace, so I thought- why not use these as the container for a Derby Day Box lunch. We are using black and white hounds tooth burlap tablecloths, and a wooden slice from a tree log as the place mat. I found this old sheet music - My Old Kentucky Home- and copied and used it as the menu card for each "lunch box". The beautiful little knives are sold in our store and add another elegant touch to the outdoor setting. I can't wait to see all of this put together- it will be a great addition to our new book, Romancing the Home Entertains. I just got a proof copy and it's going to be a great book! Meanwhile, I need to finish the other 4 tablescapes for this fundraiser. We will keep you posted- the event is in 3 weeks!

No comments: