Translate

Friday, July 29, 2011

Roasted Beets on a Summer Vegetable Plate



















My friend Mariterese called me yesterday with a quick tidbit on how to easily roast beets. I absolutely adore them, but hate to peel them. Her little tip was a miracle cure - roast them in aluminum foil, just like a baked potato. Since I was in the mood for summer vegetables last night, I decided to try the technique. I scrubbed them and brushed them with a little olive oil and covered them with aluminum foil and baked them at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes ( they were large size). And just like Mariterese said - Viola! - the skins just slid off and I was left with a perfectly skinned gorgeous ruby red beet! Slicing them and adding Italian green beans and fresh chopped tomatoes from my garden to the plate, I had a hearty vegetable treat for dinner. I did use the shaved Parmesan cheese from Costco. It's a handy way to have delicious shaved Parmesan cheese on hand - available in their chilled pasta section and is called Cello's Grana Padano. Sprinkle a little sea salt, coarsely ground pepper, and crumbled bacon on top and you are ready for a lite summer dinner. Be sure to visit www.designsbygollum.blogspot.com for Foodie Friday for many interesting recipes and cooking tips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love anything with roasted beets and your salad is a little different from one I usually make. I like the idea of parmesan and bacon and will definitely be trying this. Thanks

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

What a great looking recipe.
I love beets, and altho we roast a lot of veggies we have never tried beets.
Cheesecake factory restaurant puts beets in their toss salads and it is wonderful.
will definitely have to try baking me some beets,
thanks for sharing,
Blessings, Nellie